Friday, March 11, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Today I spent the morning with my mom planning a memorial luncheon for my Uncle Slim. We got enough food to feed a small army of friends and family and hopefully provide some loving comfort after the funeral.

Tomorrow we say goodbye.

My uncle was a character and I have so many fond memories of him. We all prayed that God would heal him of his cancer and He did... just not the way we would have liked. Of course, we all wanted him here just a little while longer. God had a bigger plan for Slim and I pray that we'll see him again on the other side of the clouds.

For those of you who are local, the public viewing is tomorrow morning at 11am at Wilson St. Pierre Funeral Home in Pendleton. The funeral is at 1pm followed by the graveside service at Grovelawn Cemetery. The same cemetery my dad is buried in.

Funerals are hard on me. I've only been able to force myself to attend a few over the years. My dad, my father-in-law and my Uncle Jim about 19 years ago. These are the only ones I've been able to force myself to sit through. Usually I get as far as the lobby and I'm done. Completely overwhelmed with grief and anxiety. I pray that I can maintain my composure tomorrow and be a source of support for my other family members who will be there.  Please pray for my Aunt Rose that her transition from wife to widow will be gentle and she will be encircled by the love and comfort of Jesus.

In His Love,

Melissa

1 comment: